Facial swelling can be brought on by a number of issues such as:
- Infected tooth/teeth
- A dental abscess
- Trauma to the face or mouth.
It is caused by a build up of inflammation or fluid inside the cheeks, gums, floor of mouth.
Facial swelling can cause:
- feeling itchy
- hot to touch.
There are a number of ways you can help reduce the pain and swelling:
- Pain relief medications such as anti-inflammatory medications
- Keep your mouth and teeth clean
- Avoid eating hot foods
- Do not lay down flat, keep your head elevated.
- Gargle with salt water to reduce any swelling inside the mouth
- Ice the area with a cold compress
- Do not smoke
Call us immediately on (02) 86779094 if you are experiencing any of the following:
- Your toothache persists for more than two days and the swelling is not going down
- you have a fever related to the facial swelling
- you have an infection (facial swelling, pain when biting, red swollen gums or a discharge that tastes funny)
- trouble breathing or swallowing.
Private Health Insurers
24x7 Dental Suite has partnered with HICAPS and Medicare to make claiming and payments easier for patients and health practitioners Australia-wide.
24x7 Dental Suite Participating Health Funds & Health Insurance Brands